This recipe doesn’t contain gluten or eggs! Using a higher ratio of cornstarch makes crispier and crunchier karaage. When I tried it at 50-50 ratio, it was a soft crispy even after double frying. Still tasty – but it all comes down to preference. Feel free to experiment!
INGREDIENTS (4 servings):
- 500g chicken legs, deboned + cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 150g corn starch
- 50g potato starch
- 1 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tbsp sake*
- 1 tsp gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp regular salt)
- 1/4 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Canola oil or any neutral flavored high heat oil for deep frying
*can substitute sake with rice wine, dry sherry or water
1. Add filtered water, sake, soy sauce, kosher salt, baking soda, ground white pepper to the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Marinate for 10 mins.
2. In another bowl, mix corn starch and potato starch.
3. Coat chicken pieces generously in the starch mix.
4. In a deep pot, add canola oil until it is 2 inches deep.
5. Heat oil until reaches 350F/180C.
6. Drop in a few chicken pieces and deep fry 2 mins until it turns pale golden. Do not over crowd as it will cause the oil to reduce in temperature and turn cloudy.
7. Use a fine mesh sieve to remove the chicken pieces out and place them on a rack. It’s ok if the chicken pieces aren’t fully cooked as we will fry them again.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you have finished frying the chicken pieces.
9. Now we will do a second fry to make them really crispy and prevent the fried chicken from turning soggy.
10. Drop in the pre-fried chicken pieces into 350F/180C and deep fry until they turn golden brown – your desired color.
11. Remove them with a fine mesh sieve and place them on a rack.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 until all the chicken pieces has been double fried.
13. Do a taste test and sprinkle some kosher salt if required.
14. Ready to serve!
TIME SAVING TIPS:
- Freeze them in single serving portions in zip lock bags so you can have Chicken Karaage anytime you want! To reheat – just bake them on an oven safe rack and bake 325F/160C for 10 to 15 mins. It will be just as crispy!