INGREDIENTS (2 – 3 servings):
- 1 cup raw uncooked jasmine white rice (or any long grain rice)*
- 1 cup filtered cold water
*for other types of rice, click this link for rice to water ratios.
- 1 cup of uncooked long grain rice = 3 cups of cooked steamed rice
- long grain rice to water ratio – 1:1
i.e. if you would like to make 6 cups of cooked rice,
then use 2 cups uncooked rice + 2 cups of water
- You will need a pot that is large enough to contain 3 times the amount of uncooked rice you decide to use.
- Lid to cover sauce pan.
- Strainer to drain the rice.
- Add uncooked rice into the pot. Rinse under cold water about 3-4 times, or until water runs almost clear.
- On the last rinse, use the strainer as shown in the video.
- Add filtered water into the pot. Mix the rice slightly so it spread outs evenly throughout the pot.
- Cover the pot. Set the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- It takes around 4 -5 mins to come to a boil.
- Once boiling. Switch off the heat source.
- Leave the pot as it is covered, for 10 minutes.
- After 10 mins, gently use a spatula to lift the bottom of the rice. Its should be cooked.
- Using a rice paddle or a bamboo spatula, fluff the rice as shown in the video.
- Transfer rice into a glass bowl. Ready to serve.
- YOU CAN FREEZE RICE: Once the rice cools down, you can freeze the rice in 1/2 cup or 1 cup portions in cling wrap. Don’t pack the rice to densely so retains its fluffiness. Gently wrap the cling wrap so it doesn’t get in between the rice – for easy removal later.
– Option 1: Remove cling wrap, place in bowl. Cover with paper towel, microwave 30 seconds at a time until its hot and fluffy. Record the time you had to microwave and use that time next time to defrost. (as different ovens have different power setting, this time may differ).
*If your rice becomes hard, it means you microwaved too long.
– Option 2: Place the frozen rice pack in a bowl. Leave it in the fridge to defrost. When defrosted, steam it lightly for 3 minutes.
- MAKE RICE PORRIDGE IN MINS: Add 1 cup of boiling water + unwrapped frozen rice pack into a small sauce pan. Cook for a few minutes until desired consistency. Add an egg if you desire, or top it off with steamed vegetables, roasted seaweed strips or your favorite toppings!