A refreshing clean, crisp and tangy apple coleslaw balanced with natural sweetness. No vinegar or mayo in this one. Great for hot days. Eat it on its own or pair it with deep-fried or meat-and-potatoes type dishes.
INGREDIENTS (2 – 3 servings):
- 100g flat cabbage
- 30g peeled carrot
- 50g red apples
- 50g peeled lemon [~half lemon]
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp whole celery seeds
- Slice cabbage leaves as thinly as possible.
- Julienne carrots and apples into thin strips.
- Place cabbage, carrots and apples into a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with dressing.
- Peel lemon skin and remove seeds. Cut into blender friendly size.
- Add lemon pieces, olive oil, maple syrup, garlic powder and whole celery seeds into the blender.
- Blend until as smooth as possible.
- Cover and refrigerate this dressing until ready to serve.
- When about to serve, drizzle the dressing over the vegetables. Cover the bowl and shake until evenly distributed to throughout the coleslaw.
- Ready to serve.
- To balance the natural tangy-ness of lemon, use a sweet apple variety.
- Use a knife instead of a julienne peeler to slice the apples into thin strips, so that the apple strips maintains its crunch and crisp.
- You can blend left over lemon pieces with water to make lemonade. Add maple syrup if you’d prefer it sweetened.