INGREDIENTS (2 – 3 servings):
- 2 chicken legs, legs and drumsticks separated
- 2 cups long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 onion large minced, diced
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 1 large carrot, minced
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 10 black pepper rounds
- 6 green cardimom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 black cardimom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp organic ghee
- 1 tbsp organic avocado oil
- 2 to 3 stalks of fresh parsley
1) Heat ghee + oil over medium high heat in a wok or deep non-stick pan.
2) Add cinnamon, green & black cardimom pods, black pepper rounds, onions, bay leaf and ginger into the heated oil. Saute until light golden.
3) Add chicken pieces, remaining spices and salt.
4) Sear chicken pieces on both sides.
5) Coat the chicken pieces with the oil and spices while frying.
6) Add minced carrots.
7) Add 4 cups water and bring it to boil.
8) Boil for 15mins. Then cover with lid and simmer over medium heat for another 35 minutes.
9) In a rice cooker, add 2 cups of rice and scoop the broth and fill it to the 1.5 cup line and set to cook. It’s ok to have a bit of minced items and spices in your broth.
If you don’t have a rice cooker, make the rice in your usual method (ie pot), but substitute water with same amount of broth.
10) Check the chicken occasionally to ensure the brothis not drying up. If it is, add some water.
11) After the 35 minutes, check to see if the chicken is fully cooked. I insert a food thermometer into the middle of each chicken pieces to ensure each of its internal temp has reached at least 165F. Or you may cut open the chicken to see if the there’s no blood and chicken is not raw. If it’s not fully cooked, keep cooking until chicken is cooked through. You may need to add some water.
12) Once chicken is cooked through, let the remaining broth cook on low heat until it resembles a gravy. It’s done!
13) Once rice & chicken is done, plate the rice and chicken. Spoon gravy and place on them. Sprinkle some dried or fresh chopped parsley. ❤ .