INGREDIENTS (10 regular size muffins):
- 120g rice flour [1 cup]
- 45g whole grain buckwheat flour [1/4 cup + 2tbsp]
- 65g potato starch [1/3 cup]
- 15g maple sugar* [1 tbsp]
- 10g aluminum-free baking powder [2 tsp]
- 2g kosher salt [1/4 tsp]
- 2g ground cinnamon [1 tsp]
- 230g mashed overripe bananas [~2 large ripe bananas]
- 1 banana, cut into 20 slices
- 120mL unsweetened apple sauce [1/2 cup]
- 90mL pure maple syrup [1/4 cup + 2 tbsp]
- 30mL avocado oil [2 tbsp]
- 15mL apple cider vinegar [1 tbsp]
- 5mL pure vanilla extract [1 tsp]
- Extra avocado oil to grease muffin slots
*can substitute with brown sugar
- Add all the dry ingredients into bowl. Mix until homogeneous.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ripen bananas and mash it. Then add all the wet ingredients.
- Using a fork, mix the wet ingredients until homogeneous
- Place a strainer over the large mixing bowl. Sift dry mix over the wet ingredients. Break down lumps. Larger particles (i.e. kosher salt) can be added it into the wet ingredients.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold in the sifted ingredients. Stop when you can’t see any dry ingredients. Don’t over mix.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Lightly grease 10 slots of a standard muffin pan.
- Slice 1 banana into 18 – 20 slices.
- Half fill each muffin tin with the batter – approx. 1.5 tbsp each. Then add a banana slice in the middle of each muffin tin.
- Then cover the banana slice with another 1 – 1.5 tbsp of the batter.
- Add half or 1 banana slice on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 15 mins in the preheated oven. Then continue to bake another 10 – 15 mins at 350F/190C, or until a tooth pick runs clear when poked into the centre of each muffin.
- Remove muffin pan from the oven.
- Gently slide a pairing knife around the sides of each muffin to loosen each muffin from the tin.
- Place each muffin on a cooling rack.
- Ready to eat when cooled🙂
- You can freeze these muffins by individually wrapping than in cling wrap. When you want to eat them, simply:
– unwrap + microwave it for 40 seconds (depending on the power of your oven).
– unwrap + bake it at 350F/180C for 10-12 mins.
– just bring it to work and have it for lunch when it naturally defrosts.