✅ gluten-free ✅ dairy-free ✅ minimal oil ✅ not spicy
This is my 2nd butter chicken recipe. If you can’t have tomatoes – be sure to check out my Tomato-free Butter Chicken Recipe!
Note: Restaurant style butter chicken has a deep iron brown color due to the inclusion of a red food coloring.
BUTTER CHICKEN RECIPE👇
🥣 2 tbsp organic ghee
🥣 2 tbsp peeled ginger, finely minced
🥣 2 tbsp peeled garlic, finely minced
🥣 500g chicken breast, 1/2 inch cubes
🥣 400g fresh tomatoes, diced
🥣 1 large onion, minced
🥣 1/2 cup water
🥣 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt
🥣 1 tbsp cumin powder
🥣 3 tbsp coriander powder
🥣 1 tsp maple sugar*
🥣 8 raw cashew nuts
🥣 1/2 tsp fenugreek leaves
🥣 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
🥣 3 tsp kosher salt
🥣 additional salt to taste
*can substitute with maple syrup or sugar of your preference
1. Marinate chicken breast cubes with 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp minced ginger and 1 tbsp minced garlic for 5 mins.
2. Glaze sauce pan with 1 tbsp ghee over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken pieces and its marinade into the pan. Fry until 80% cook. This is to get the water out of the raw chicken. Set chicken aside.
5. Glaze sauce pan with remaining ghee. Add remaining minced ginger and garlic, cumin seeds and onions.
6. Stir fry. Add cumin powder, fenugreek leaves, orcoriander powder, cashew nuts, diced tomatoes, 2 tsp kosher salt and
1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil.
7. Then simmer over medium heat. Lid covered for 15 mins.
8. Transfer curry sauce to a blender. Let it cool slightly and blend until very smooth.
9. Pour the curry sauce back into the sauce pan. Add chicken pieces. Cook over high heat.
10. Mix in coconut yogurt and maple sugar.
11. Ready to serve with rice, paratha, or your favorite rotis when curry reaches your desired consistency.