INGREDIENTS (2 – 3 servings):
For the steamed radish cake:
- 180g white rice flour [1.5 cups]
- 40g tapioca flour [1/4 cup]
- 300g peeled daikon radish
(100g julienned + 200g minced]
- 625mL water – consisting of the liquid that comes out of the drained daikon radish, and topping it up with water
- 50g carrots, peeled and finely minced.
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic + 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- Optional: Ground white pepper
For the dish:
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions – white part
- 2 tbsp chopped green onions – green part
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp maple sugar*
- 2 eggs
*can substitute with brown sugar
Make Steam Radish Cake:
- Line the bottom of a non stick baking pan. Lightly grease the sides with avocado oil.
- Add julienned and minced daikon radish into a pot. Add just enough water to cover it.
- Bring water to a boil. Boil 5 mins
- Drain daikon through a strainer. Collect the drained liquid.
- Place the daikon into a big non-stick wok or fry pan.
- Add minced garlic and avocado oil in a small fry pan, and fry until it crisps slightly but not yet golden brown. Put the crisp garlic onto the daikon.
- In the same fry pan, add minced carrots and stir fry for 1-2 mins until it softens. Add the carrots into the wok containing daikon and garlic.
- Measure out the drained daikon liquid. If it is less than 625 mL, add water until it hits 625 mL. If you have more than 625 mL, then you don’t have to add additional water.
- In a mixing bowl, mix salt, white pepper, rice flour and tapioca flour. Then add the daikon liquid. Mix until no lumps.
- Pour this liquid + 1 tsp oil into the wok that contains the daikon, carrots and garlic. Turn on medium heat.
- Using a silicone spatula, keep folding the mixture. Scraping the bottom, to ensure the vegetables are evenly coated with the liquid.
- Once this mixture thickens into a batter, transfer it into baking pan. Spread the batter evenly.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Steam it for 30 mins either in a steamer, or a large pot with a steaming rack, covered with its lid.
- Remove foil. Let it cool for 30 mins in the fridge.
- Use a knife to loosen the sides, then invert the baking pan over a large plate. The steamed radish cake should come out nicely. Remove parchment paper.
Making the Dish:
- Cut the into half inch thick slices. Then into cubes.
- In a fry pan, add oil over medium high heat. Use a silicone brush to grease the pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the radish cubes into it, and pan fry each side until it turns golden brown & slightly crispy.
- When the radish cake is almost done, add in the minced garlic, white part of the green onion slices. Stir fry.
- Crack open eggs in a bowl. Mix them. Add it onto the pan. Place the radish cubes on it and stir fry until eggs are fully cooked.
- Sprinkle maple sugar.
- Ready to serve with remaining green onion slices as garnish.