✅ Clean Ingredients ✅ gluten-free
This makes 3 servings but double the ingredients to make more. You can freeze them in zip lock bags after they cool for easy next day lunches. Just remove from bag and reheat.
INGREDIENTS (~3 servings):
- 225g dried navy beans (aka haricot beans) + 1 tbsp salt for soaking
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp black strap molasses
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 125g pork belly
- 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
1. Rinsed dry navy beans. Soak in water – cover at least 2 inches above beans. Add 1 tbsp salt. Mix.
2. Cover with wrap. Soak at least 10 hours.
3. After beans are soaked, rinse beans and strain all water out. Set aside.
4. Cut pork belly into 1/4″ H x 1″ L x 1/2 W inch strips.
5. Place pork belly in a wok over high heat. Render out the fat.
6. Then add diced onions. Saute over medium heat.
7. Add baking soda, bay leaf, tamari sauce, molasses, maple syrup, dry mustard, salt, pepper and water.
(Baking soda helps beans soften faster)
8. Add navy beans. Mix ingredients well.
9. Bring to a boil.
10. Then transfer to slow cooker and cook on high for 7 hours or until beans are really soft and looks like the photo.
11. Ready to serve.