An easy healthier dessert – my current favorite. More crisp and less apples. I used Mutsu apples for this who are a sweet and tart variety of apples. But you can use any apple of your preference.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 2 large apples – thinly sliced, ~210g
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 30mL maple syrup, ~3 tbsp
- 30mL melted vegan shortening*, ~3 tbsp
- 35g cassava flour, ~4 tbsp
- 25g gluten-free rolled oats, ~4 tbsp
- 11g maple sugar, ~1.5 tbsp
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1/16 tsp salt
- Optional: 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
*can substitute with heated avocado oil – or melted butter or melted lard (if not vegan).
//As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases on some products listed in this post.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cassava flour, oats, maple sugar and salt.
- Melt vegan shortening into liquid. Mix into dry ingredients until it forms large crumbs resembling Photo A below.
- Preheat oven to 400F/205C.
- Glaze pan with 1 tsp avocado oil over medium heat.
- Add apple slices, maple syrup, ground cinnamon and lemon juice to pan. Cook and stir until apples soften and caramelized.
- Transfer caramelized apples to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. See Photo B below.
- Sprinkle the cassava flour crumbs over the apples. See Photo C below.
- Baked in preheated oven for 30 mins or until the crumbs crisps up.
- When done – let it cool. Then ready to serve!
- use traditional rolled oats for best results.
- while all substitutes tastes just as good – vegan shortening or lard gives a crisper texture compared avocado oil.
- You can substitute maple sugar with brown sugar if you prefer.