Learn to make the best tasting, fluffy and airy Japanese Milk Bread (shokupan) in your own home!
Taste better than store bought ones + no preservatives and no refined sugar.
*As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases on some products listed below.
For best results, bake the bread in a 9 x 4 x 4 inch non-stick Pullman loaf pan with lid.
Alternatively, this recipe can also work for these no-lid loaf pans sizes* (L x W x H):
– 9 x 4 x 4 inch / 23 x 10 x 10 cm
– 9 x 4 x 3 inch / 23 x 10 x 7.5 cm
*Watch the video above for tips and what to expect when using no-lid loaf pans
If your loaf pan size isn’t listed above:
– click here to view adjusted amounts for common loaf pan sizes,
– or subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified on my next video which will show you how to customize any bread loaf recipe to your loaf pan size!
JAPANESE MILK BREAD INGREDIENTS :
loaf pan size: 9 x 4 x 4 inch Pullman loaf pan with lid
- bread flour 342.0g [100%]
- instant yeast 3.0g [0.9%]
- dry milk powder 10.0g [3.0%]
- salt 3.0g [0.9%]
- egg 34.2g [10%]
- unpasteurized honey 34.2 g [10%]
- water 207.0g [60.5%]
- softened butter 17.0g [5%]
- Mix dry ingredients in the mixing bowl of your stand mixer.
- Add egg, honey and water.
- Mix on speed 2 (low speed) for 2-3 mins until ingredients are well combined. Scrape the sides half way through.
- Mix on speed 3 (low-medium speed) for 13 mins.
- Add butter and mix 2 mins on speed 4 (medium speed) until well incorporated.
- Then mix another 15 mins on speed 3 (low-medium speed).
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and smooth dough into a ball.
- Place the dough ball in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and let it rise until it doubles its size. Approx. 75 mins.
- Transfer dough to kneading surface. It will be sticky.
- Pat dough down. Pull sides and fold into thirds, length-wise.
- Pat down. Pull sides and fold into thirds, width wise.
- Place dough in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and let it rise until it doubles its size. Approx.. 30 mins.
- Transfer dough to kneading surface.
- Cut dough into 2 equal pieces. Use a digital scale.
- Shape the cut dough into 2 smooth seamless dough balls.
- Cover each dough ball with wrap. Let them sit for 30 mins to relax.
- Lightly greased Pullman loaf pan and its lid with avocado oil or any neutral flavored high heat oil.
- Flatten and roll out the first dough ball with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Fold into thirds, lengthwise. Seal edges.
- Roll dough out as flat as possible into a rectangle.
- Tightly roll the dough into a cylinder. Pinch to seal edges.
- Repeat steps 19 to 23, for the second dough ball.
- Place both cylindrical dough into the lightly greased Pullman loaf pan.
- Cover with cling wrap. Let it proof for 45 mins.
- During the last 15 mins of the proofing, preheat the oven to 400F./205C.
- After proofing, remove cling wrap. Close the Pullman loaf pan with its lid.
- Bake for 30 mins in a preheated oven.
- After 30 mins, release the bread from the Pullman loaf pan onto a cooling rack.
- Let the loaf cool for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, slice off the ends, and cut into 1 half inch slices.
- Individually wrap each slice in cling wrap. Stays fresh at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze individually wrapped slices in the freezer for up to 3 months.