Ingredients (2 to 3 servings):
- 2 large chicken legs
- 3 cups of washed jasmine rice (rice cooker cup measurement)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 one inch ginger slices
- 2 thumbs of ginger, grated
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 stalks of green onion, cut into fine circles
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce substitute (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon pink salt (for boiling chicken)
- 1 teaspoon pink salt (for rice)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (for sauteing rice aromatics)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (for ginger paste)
- ice cubes
1. Cut out chicken fat and any excess skin from the chicken legs. Set aside for rice.
2.. In a large pot, fill with 4L water. Add chicken legs, 3 tablespoon salt and 3 ginger slices. Bring water to boil. Ensure water covers the chicken. If not add more water.
3. Bring the water to a boil – and boil for 45 mins uncovered.
4. After 45 mins, turn heat down to the lowest setting and let it simmer covered for the next 90 mins.
Making the Rice
5. Add washed rice in the rice cooker pot.
6. In a small fry pan, heat up 1 teaspoon avocado oil on high.
7. Add chicken fat, 2 slices of ginger, minced garlic and saute on medium-low heat until golden brown.
8. Once golden brown, place these aromatics into the rice cooker pot with the rice.
9. Uncover the pot with the chicken in it. Using a ladle, scoop the chicken broth and fill the rice cooker pot to the “3-cup mark”.
10. Place the rice cooker pot inside the rice cooker. Close lid & press start.
Making the Ginger Paste
11.. In a small sauce pan, bring 1 tbsp avocado oil to medium-high heat.
12. Add grated ginger, minced garlic and green onion.
13. Saute until fragrant. Put it into a small sauce dish and set aside.
Chicken – After 90 mins of simmering
14. In a large mixing bowl, fill it with cold ice cubes and water.
15. Carefully take out the chicken legs and soak it in the ice cold water for
16. Line a large plate with paper towel. Place chicken legs on it. Pat Dry.
17. Lightly salt the chicken legs from above.
Preparing the Sauce – to be poured over the chicken before serving
18. In a small bowl, add soy sauce alternative, maple syrup, fish sauce and
1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Mix.
Final Presentation of the Dish
20. Place all the chicken pieces on a large serving plate, and pour the Sauce
we made in Step 18 all over the chicken pieces.
21. The rice should have been cooked by now. Open the rice cooker lid, using a wooden spoon mix the rice and aromatics.
22. Serve rice on a plate. Plate a few chicken slices on top of it. Ginger-Green Onion paste can be served on the side, or in a saucer for dipping.
P.S. This dish pairs well stir-fry nappa cabbage & crushed cold cucumber salad. They are fairly easy recipes and you can find them on my Instagram page by clicking on those links. If you are viewing the links on a desktop, you may have to scroll up the comments to the top to see the recipe.