INGREDIENTS (~3 to 4 servings):
*you can steam as many chicken legs as you want, so long as it fits your steaming plate and your steamer or pot. The steaming timings remain the same.
- 2 large chicken leg*
- 4 tbsp salt – for scrubbing
- 10 thin slices of ginger, 1 – 2 inches long
- salt to sprinkle before steaming
(note, measurements are in the standard US cups)
- 2 cups thai jasmine rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 4 thin slices of ginger
- 1 – 2 tbsp chicken fat (cut out from chicken leg)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 45g grated fresh ginger
- 40g green onion slices
- 1.5 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1.4 tsp pure sesame oil
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1.5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp pure sesame oil
- Rinse the chicken legs under cold running water. Rub salt all over, especially the skin. Rinse. Pat dry.
- Cut out chicken fats. Set aside to be used for rice.
- Place chicken legs on steaming plate.
- Salt both sides of the chicken legs.
- Place ginger slices under and on the chicken legs
- Steam chicken, covered, over high heat for 20 minutes. Then over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- After, turn off the heat source. Leave chicken as it is, covered, for another 20 minutes.
Rice – no rice cooker method:
- Add rice into pot.
- Rinse rice 4 to 5 times or until water runs clear.
- Ensure water is drained completely.
- Add chicken fats, salt & water. Mix – ensure rice is well spread out in the pot.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off heat source.
- Cover pot with lid, and let it sit for 11 mins. Using a timer is recommended.
- During this 11 mins, release steam when necessary, then cover with lid.
- After 11 mins, immediately fluff rice and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add grated ginger and green onion slices in a bowl.
- Mix and pound it until the its juices come out.
- Add salt. Mix.
- Add avocado oil over medium heat.
- When oil is heated, add the ginger-green onion mixture.
- Fry gently until fragrant. Do not allow it to brown.
- When almost done, add sesame oil. Mix.
- Transfer ginger sauce to a bowl. Set aside.
- Add hot water, gluten free soy sauce, maple syrup and sesame oil into a small bowl.
- Mix and set aside.
Putting all together:
- When the chicken legs are ready, carefully remove it and place it on paper towels so it won’t be dripping wet.
- Remove bones and cut it into slices. See video above on how I do it.
- Place chicken slices on serving plate.
- Drizzle chicken sauce over the chicken slices.
- To serve, place chicken slices over the rice. Drizzle chicken sauce. Place ginger sauce on the side.
- This dish pairs well with steamed/sauted green leafy vegetables, broccoli or raw cucumbers/tomatoes.
- If you are able handle spicy, this dish goes well with garlic chilli sauce.
- You can freeze chicken slices and rice separately in 1 serving portions – and microwave it when you next feel like eating chicken rice. Great for fast meals or busy days.